Heat and high humidity lure ticks on. But how dangerous are the animals actually? The danger of contracting the life-threatening TBE virus is low, especially in Northern Germany. The last case was documented in 2012. But now the "Veterinary College" (TiHo) has shocked with a statement: Two dogs infected in Hannover died – caused by a ticks – meningitis. It was a three-year-old St. Bernard and a twelve-year-old half-breed.
Ticks can transmit diseases – the question is, which one? They harbor different pathogens, transmitting a multitude of viruses that cause the dreaded brain inflammation in animals and humans. In the last half of the year one documented at the "Veterinary College Hannover"(TiHo) Two cases of FSME – Central European tick-borne encephalitis, also known as tick-borne encephalitis. The patients were dogs; a half-breed with 12 years and one St. bernard at the age of three. Veterinarian dr. Jasmin Nessler and Professor Dr. med. Andrea Tipold performed the treatments. Both medics were